Oikocredit invests € 2 million to support growth of solar energy in Africa
Our investment in solar electricity innovators Spark will enable last-mile distributors to bring affordable, sustainable off-grid solutions to hundreds of thousands of low-income households
Social impact investor Oikocredit is providing a credit line of € 2 million to Spark, a supplier of pay-as-you-go off-grid modular solar solutions and appliances. The loan will support Spark’s plans to make electricity accessible to an estimated 500,000under-served households in sub-Saharan Africa. The clean energy and path to ownership of Spark’s off-grid modular solar products, which can extend to fit users' growing energy needs, will enable user households to improve their health and living standards, increase their earning potential, be better connected and achieve lives of greater dignity.
Spark has pioneered, built and supplied innovative solar solutions since 2013. With more than 75,000 energy kits sold to date, it has helped over 375,000 people improve their lives and provided technical capacity building to 2,700-plus solar sales agents. Over their product lifetime, renewable energy generated by Spark's currently installed smart solar home systems will avoid approximately 200,000 metric tonnes of CO2 equivalent, replacing kerosene lanterns and diesel generators.
- 17 December | 2021 09:19 - The season of joy and Mercy’s story
- 15 December | 2021 10:00 - Oikocredit joins FIRST+ programme to help generate work opportunities for 60,000 Ghanaians
- 07 December | 2021 12:54 - Oikocredit held General Meeting to discuss strategy and capital-raising model
- 07 December | 2021 11:00 - Oikocredit invests € 2 million to support growth of solar energy in Africa
- 06 December | 2021 13:36 - Introducing Oikocredit’s new community-focused approach: learning from partners
- 01 December | 2021 11:10 - Call for Supervisory Board applications