Oikocredit’s new investment in Unaitas will support farmer cooperatives in Kenya
Oikocredit is providing a new loan to Unaitas, the fastest growing savings cooperative in Kenya with over 378,000 members.
An Oikocredit partner since 1997, Unaitas supports growth-oriented SMEs, especially in the agribusiness value chain.
The new funding forms the Unaitas SME Support Fund, which will serve Kenyan SME farmers’ cooperatives and other enterprises.
Caroline Mulwa, Oikocredit East Africa Investment Manager, said: “Unaitas has grown in leaps and bounds from humble beginnings as a tea farmers’ savings and credit cooperative, and we are proud to be associated with this growth. Unaitas’s focus on smallholder farmers, low-income housing and small to medium enterprises resonates with Oikocredit's mission. Our new loan of KES 7bn will help drive financial inclusion in an underserved market.”
Read the press release here.
- 22 July | 2021 14:52 - PowerGen partners with Oikocredit and others to connect 55,000 people to electricity in rural Nigeria
- 20 July | 2021 10:08 - Oikocredit makes interim changes to its Managing Board
- 15 July | 2021 10:10 - Oikocredit’s new investment in Unaitas will support farmer cooperatives in Kenya
- 08 July | 2021 14:28 - Oikocredit appoints new Regional Equity Managers
- 02 July | 2021 10:00 - A better life in the cooperative