Protecting yourself against coronavirus scams – tips for investors
Criminals are seeking to capitalise on the Covid-19 pandemic, exploiting the pandemic to trick people into sharing personal or financial information via phishing emails and phone calls.
Even though we have not identified any specific fraud attempt targeted at Oikocredit members or investors, we would like to remind you to be extra vigilant at this time.
Your bank will advise you on the common financial frauds and security tips. So do please remind yourself of the steps you should take, as well as being aware that the coronavirus outbreak creates new opportunities for criminals to exploit. In general, we ask you to be alert to any cold calls or emails and then to:
- stop and think - taking a moment before parting with any information or money
- challenge - it’s okay to reject, refuse or ignore requests and follow up later
- contact Oikocredit, your bank and police immediately - if you think you’ve been a victim of fraud concerning your Oikocredit investment.
When contacting Oikocredit make sure you are phoning, emailing, or viewing a legitimate Oikocredit website, by verifying that the details are correct. You can do this by:
- phoning Oikocredit or its support associations on a phone number you have from an older trusted email message, account statement or magazine
- emailing Oikocredit using an email address you have from an older trusted email message
- website addresses should be typed directly into your browser, using the URL link from an older trusted email or letterhead.
You already know Oikocredit’s distinct international website www.oikocredit.coop and you can find your country website through the dropdown list on the top menu of this website.
Remember to stop and think - fraudsters can create websites with a similar looking URL link and send this in an email.
In writing this we do not wish to create alarm, only a reminder to take care. If you do have any doubts, please contact us or your local support association and/or your bank before doing anything.
- 28 April 2020 - Coffee, Cocoa, and the Coronavirus [Interview]
- 14 April 2020 - Impact investors jointly commit to supporting low-income communities in Covid-19 crisis
- 09 April 2020 - Social impact in the pandemic: how Oikocredit is helping partners fight back [blog]
- 09 April 2020 - Nomination for appointment to the Supervisory Board
- 08 April 2020 - Protecting organisations against coronavirus scams – tips for partners
- 06 April 2020 - It's not just about growth [interview]
- 06 April 2020 - Indian Oikocredit subsidiary supports government relief fund for coronavirus
- 03 April 2020 - Protecting yourself against coronavirus scams – tips for investors
- 02 April 2020 - Oikocredit publishes its annual report for 2019